NOCAC Head Start will obtain or perform evidence based vision screenings on each child within 45 calendar days of the child’s entry into the program.
- Designated staff will complete a vision screening on every child annually per the Health Advisory Committee and Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnostic and Treatment (EPSDT).
- The evidence based vision screener is PlusOptix.
- Designated NOCAC Head Start staff will be trained annually on the use of the vision screeners.
- Parents will be informed of all screenings at the time of enrollment during the first home visit. NOCAC staff will assist the family in completing the Enrollment Consent Form.
- Vision screenings (within normal limits) obtained from the child’s Physical exam will be entered into ChildPlus for tracking.
- Passed Vision Screenings:
- The designated Head Start Staff will notify the parent about the results using the Parent’s Notification of Screening Results – PNSR.
- Failed Vision Screening:
- Parents are notified using the Parent’s Notification of Screening Results – PNSR with a NOCAC Head Start Vision Report form attached.
- Parents are advised by the Family Service Specialist (FSS) and/or teacher to take their child to an optometrist.
- The FSS and/or teacher shall assist the family in finding an optometrist if necessary.
- The FSS and/or teacher will follow up with the family as needed
- All follow-up is tracked in ChildPlus.
- At any time during the year, a parent may request another screening.
Forms and Additional Guidance:
- Staff trained on the PlusOptix vision screener (form D10 – Hearing Vision Screeners)
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:||1302.42(b)(2)|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:|
|Caring for Our Children:||18.104.22.168|
|Effective Date:||Revision Date:|
|Approved By Policy Council:||Revision Approved By Policy Council:|