NOCAC Child Development will obtain or perform evidence based vision screenings on each participant within 45 calendar days of entry into the program.
- Designated staff will complete a vision screening on every participant annually per the Health Advisory Committee and Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnostic and Treatment (EPSDT).
- The evidence based vision screener is PlusOptix for participants 1 year and older, 18 Vision Development Screening (VDM) age birth to 12 months is used for participants under 12 months.
- Designated staff will be trained annually on the use of the vision screeners.
- Parents will be informed of all screenings at the time of enrollment during the first home visit. Staff will assist the family in completing the Enrollment Consent Form.
- Vision screenings (within normal limits) obtained from the participant’s “qualifying” EPSDT Well Child exam will be entered into ChildPlus for tracking. In order for a vision to “qualify” it must be done on July 1st or later.
- Screenings must be current for the existing program year.
- If a child wears glasses an ROI must be sent to verify that the child has a current prescription.
- Passed Vision Screenings:
- The designated staff will notify the parent about the results using the Parent’s Notification of Screening Results – PNSR for HS participants or by providing a copy of the 18 Vision Development Milestones From Birth to Baby’s First Birthday for the EHS participants.
- Failed Vision Screening:
- Parents are notified using the Parent’s Notification of Screening Results – PNSR with a NOCAC Head Start Vision Report form attached or 18 Vision Development Milestones From Birth to Baby’s First Birthday.
- Parents are advised by the Family Advocate and/or teacher teacher/home visitor (HV) to take the participant to an optometrist.
- The Family Advocate (FA) and/or teacher/HV shall assist the family in finding an optometrist if necessary.
- FA, teacher, and HV will discuss all findings at regularly scheduled meetings to be recorded on the Family Progress Notes or entered into communication under corresponding health event.
- The FA and/or teacher/HV will follow up with the family as needed.
- All followup is tracked in ChildPlus.
- At any time during the year, a parent or teacher may request another screening.
- Documentation of all screenings is maintained in ChildPlus. The white copy of the screening results is sent to the Central Office and will be entered by the Health Data System Specialist. All screenings requiring followup are forwarded to the Health and Safety Manager.
- PlusOptix – PSNR copies must be sent to the Central Office upon completion.
- Pages 2-9 on 18 month must be sent to Central Office upon completion of each page every month.
- The Health and Safety Manager monitors followups via data from ChildPlus.
Forms and Additional Guidance:
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:||1302.42(b)(2)|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:|
|Caring for Our Children:||126.96.36.199|
|Effective Date:||8/7/17||Revision Date:||10/19/20|
|Approved By Policy Council:||8/7/17||Revision Approved By Policy Council:||1/6/20|