To insure no child is left unattended when arriving/departing at a NOCAC Head Start Center
It is important for programs to train all NOCAC staff, including Bus Monitors, on active supervision. Active supervision requires staff to focus their attention and intentionally observe children so that no child is left unattended. NOCAC staff must position themselves so that they can watch, count, and listen to children at all times, especially during transitions when children are arriving or leaving the center.
Arriving/Departing the Center
- The teacher or NOCAC staff member in charge of the group of children will walk on the bus and will be told the total number of children on the bus by the bus driver.
- The teacher or NOCAC staff member in charge of the group of children will assist with the un-buckling/ buckling process.
- Once all children are unbuckled the teacher or NOCAC staff member will be the first person off the bus, the teacher or NOCAC staff member will lead the children to a pre-determined safe meeting place outside of the center.
- This meeting place will be different at each site and will be posted in The Classroom Attendance Binder
- The Bus Monitor will be at the end of the line and will recount the children.
- The Bus Driver will do a post trip inspection and a visual sweep of the bus, looking under and in all seats, searching for any children left on the bus.
- The bus driver will deactivate the child safety alarm if the bus is equipped with one, lock the back door and hang up the sign stating “Bus Checked No Children Left on Bus“.
- The driver will exit the bus through the driver door and lock the door.
- When another group of children are boarding the bus, the driver does not need to lock the doors.
- The driver will meet the class and follow the children into the classroom.
- If a Bus Monitor is not available, the Center Manager must have a NOCAC staff member pre-assigned to help with the Bus to Center Transition process.
Forms and Additional Guidance:
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:||1302.31|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:|
|Caring for Our Children:|
|Adopted with Board & Policy Council Approvals:||8/7/2017|
|Revised with Board & Policy Council Approvals:||8/7/2017|