NOCAC Head Start/Early Head Start (HS/EHS) staff will asses the children’s development by using the Teaching Strategies GOLD website.
- Teaching Strategies GOLD (TSG) is an ongoing assessment tool, which can be implemented by the Teachers and HS/EHS Home Visitors (HV) to measure the educational progress of children. From birth through kindergarten, this program can help teachers evaluate specific characteristics and strategies for effective educational development.
- TSG emphasizes using everyday assessment in typical activities so that Teachers and HS/EHS HV can understand where each student’s development level is. It is intended to avoid standardized teaching methods, which neglect each child’s variations in educational progress.
- Teachers and HS/EHS HV utilize TSG to enter documentation and observations on individual children.
- Teachers and HS/EHS HV utilize the Checkpoint Assessment Area three times per year to document individual children’s development level for Fall, Winter and Spring. Due dates will be placed on the calendar at the beginning of the year.
- After documentation is complete and each child’s development level is determined the Outcomes/Data Analysis Specialist will print off a Development and Learning Report from TSG for each child.
- Teachers and HS/EHS HV will review this report with the parents/guardians at the 1st, 2nd Parent/Teacher conference and the 2nd Home Visit.
- TSG Family Central offers family-focused resources that are devoted to helping the Teachers and HS/EHS HV build a connection between a child’s two most important worlds: school and home.
- Families are informed about Family Central at the 1st Home Visit and asked to provide their personal email address to be able to get signed up.
- Families who have access can enter observations about their child, email Teachers and HS/EHS HV, review observations entered by the Teachers and HS/EHS HV and look up developmentally appropriate activities to do with their child.
Forms and Additional Guidance:
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:||1302.33(b)(c)(d)|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:|
|Caring for Our Children:|
|Effective Date:||1/6/20||Revision Date:|
|Approved By Policy Council:||Revision Approved By Policy Council:|