NOCAC Child Development will obtain or perform evidence based hearing screenings on each child within 45 calendar days of the child’s entry into the program.
- Designated staff will complete a hearing screening on every participant annually per the Health Advisory Committee and Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnostic and Treatment (EPSDT).
- The evidence based hearing screener Madsen Alpha OAE screener can be used for all participants from 0-5 and pregnant women if needed.
- Designated staff will be trained annually on the use of the 0-5 hearing screener.
- Parents will be informed of all screenings at the time of enrollment or during the first home visit. Staff will assist the family in completing the Enrollment Consent Form.
- Hearing screenings (within normal limits) obtained from the participant’s “qualifying” EPSDT Well Child exam will be entered into ChildPlus for tracking. In order for a vision to “qualify” it must be done on July 1st or later.
- Screenings must be current for the existing program year.
- If a child has tubes or a history of ear infections and is under the care of an Ear, Nose, & Throat (ENT) doctor an ROI must be sent to verify that the child is under a current treatment plan.
- Passed Hearing:
- The designated Head Start Staff will notify the parent about the results using the Parent’s Notification of Screening Results – PNSR.
- Failed Hearing Screening:
- Parents are notified using the Parent’s Notification of Screening Results – PNSR.
- The child is re-screened within 3 weeks
- If the child fails the second screening, the parents are sent a second PNSR with a NOCAC Head Start Hearing Report Form attached.
- The FA and/or teacher or Home Visitor will contact the parent and explain the screening results and the follow up procedures.
- Parents are advised by the Family Advocate and/or teacher/Home Visitor (HV) to take the participant to an ENT or formal hearing assessment.
- The FA and/or teacher/HV shall assist the family in finding an ENT if necessary.
- FA, teacher, and HV will discuss all findings at regularly scheduled meetings to be recorded on the Family Progress Notes or entered into communication under corresponding health event.
- The FA and/or teacher/HV will follow up with the family as needed.
- All followup is tracked in ChildPlus.
- At any time during the year, a parent or teacher may request another screening.
- Documentation of all screenings is maintained in ChildPlus. The white copy of the screening results is sent to the Central Office and will be entered by the Health Data System Specialist. All screenings requiring followup are forwarded to the Health and Safety Manager.
- Madsen Alpha OAE results – PSNR copies must be sent to the Central Office upon completion.
- The Health and Safety Manager monitors followups via data from ChildPlus.
Forms and Additional Guidance:
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:||1302.42(b)(2)|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:|
|Caring for Our Children:|
|Effective Date:||8/7/17||Revision Date:||10/28/20|
|Approved By Policy Council:||8/7/17||Revision Approved By Policy Council:|