NOCAC Child Development will obtain or perform evidence based hearing screenings on each child within 45 calendar days of the child’s entry into the program.
- Designated staff will complete a hearing screening on every child per the Health Advisory Committee and Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnostic and Treatment (EPSDT).
- The evidence based hearing screener is the Madsen Alpha OAE screening.
- Designated NOCAC staff will be trained annually on the use of the 0-5 hearing screener.
- Parents will be informed of all screenings at the time of enrollment or during the first home visit. NOCAC staff will assist the family in completing the Enrollment Consent Form.
- Hearing screenings (within normal limits) obtained from the child’s Physical exam will be entered into ChildPlus for tracking.
- Passed Hearing:
- The designated Head Start Staff will notify the parent about the results using the Parent’s Notification of Screening Results – PNSR.
- Failed Hearing Screening:
- Parents are notified using the Parent’s Notification of Screening Results – PNSR.
- The child is re-screened within 3 weeks
- If the child fails the second screening, the parents are sent a second PNSR with a NOCAC Head Start Hearing Report Form attached.
- The Family Advocate and/or teacher will contact the parent and explain the screening results and the follow up procedures.
- The followup is tracked in ChildPlus.
Forms and Additional Guidance:
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:||1302.42(b)(2)|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:|
|Caring for Our Children:|
|Effective Date:||8/7/17||Revision Date:|
|Approved By Policy Council:||8/7/17||Revision Approved By Policy Council:|