NOCAC staff will assist children and families with a smooth transition from a child’s current placement in the Early Head Start (EHS) program to Head Start (HS) or a preschool opportunity of the family’s choice if they are no longer eligible. This transition should occur as soon as possible after the child’s third birthday and when appropriate for the transition to occur.
Timing for transitions
- Once a child turns 2 years 6 months the home visitor will begin working with the family to complete the Early Head Start Transition Checklist.
The Family Advocate will collect the most recent income verification from the family to determine if the family will be income eligible for the NOCAC Head Start Program.
- a. When a participant is determined income eligible the FA will then schedule a time to do the NOCAC Head Start application on or as close as possible after the participant’s third birthday.
- EHS staff will assist families to implement strategies and activities to support successful transitions and encourage and assist parents with the EHS to HS transition if the family remains eligible for Head Start.
- If the family is no longer income eligible for Head Start, EHS staff will assist the family to find a public or private funded preschool.
- Strategies and activities will also promote the parent/guardians continued involvement in the education and development of their child.
- The month the child transitions, the home visitor will meet with the family to provide information on development and progress utilizing a TS GOLD report. A copy will be given to the parent.
Early Head Start and Head Start collaboration
- EHS staff will encourage family participation in center programs such as Family Fun Nights or End of Year Picnics.
- EHS staff will assist families in setting up a time to go visit the preschool classroom and meet the staff of the preschool they will be transitioning to.
- If a family chooses Head Start Preschool (center based or home based) the child’s name will be placed on the waiting list if the program is fully enrolled.
- a. Children will continue to receive EHS home base services for up to 6 months.
Forms and Additional Guidance:
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:|
|Caring for Our Children:|
|Effective Date:||3/27/20||Revision Date:|
|Approved By Policy Council:||Revision Approved By Policy Council:|