NOCAC Head Start will ensure that any family, whose primary language is other than English, will receive services or material in their primary language, to the extent it is feasible.
- Parents will inform Head Start staff of their primary language through the Head Start eligibility application. Head Start staff will obtain necessary support in order to communicate with families in their primary language.
- For Spanish, NOCAC Head Start will maintain a list of volunteer interpreters and/or bilingual staff that can be used as interpreters/translators.
- Interpreters will be paid a stipend in accordance with the contract.
- For languages other than Spanish, the program will arrange for appropriate interpretation services at no cost to the parent.
- Parents will have the option to use an adult family member or a friend as a volunteer to help interpret material or translate.
- NOCAC Education staff will focus on both English language acquisition and the development of the home language.
- Classrooms will be equipped with culturally and linguistically appropriate materials.
Forms and Additional Guidance:
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:||1302.31(b)(2), 1302.50(b)(5), 1302.51(a)(3)|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:|
|Caring for Our Children:|
|Effective Date:||8/7/17||Revision Date:||8/7/17|
|Approved By Policy Council:||8/7/17||Revision Approved By Policy Council:||8/7/17|