All children enrolled in NOCAC Child Development will be offered a professional Dental Hygiene Examination and appropriate dental prevention interventions in partnership with the Bryan Community Health Center. The results of the Dental Hygiene exam will be used to assist with appropriate referrals.
NOCAC Teaching Staff Responsibilities:
- During the first home visit, the NOCAC Teacher will encourage parent/guardian to sign the BCHC Dental Consent for Exam. (Only children with a signed authorization form will receive Dental Prevention services in the Head Start classroom)
- The signed original form will be forwarded to the Family Advocate (FA). It is recommended that a copy be kept in the site file.
Family Service Specialist Responsibilities:
- The Teachers will work in partnership with Health/Nutrition Assistant on days that dental services are scheduled in a classroom to assure that children are escorted to and from the dental services as efficiently as possible. If the FA is unable to be at the site on the scheduled day he/she should inform the Health/Nutrition Assistant so that alternative support can be arranged. (This is most critical on days when more than 10 children are scheduled for services.)
- The Teacher/FA will determine the family’s capacity to follow-through with the referral recommendations and proceed accordingly.
- Level 3 and Level 4 referrals: the FA will work from the follow-up plan developed by the Health and Safety Manager and document progress in ChildPlus.
Health and Safety Manager and Health and Safety Assistant Responsibilities:
- Health/Nutrition Manager will work with a dental provider to develop a schedule at the beginning of each program year that indicates when the Dental Dayz will be at a particular center. The schedule will be adapted as needed throughout the school year dependant on results and planned prevention interventions.
- The Health/Nutrition Assistant will accompany the Dental provider to classrooms to provide administrative support if more than 5 children are scheduled for services.
- The Health/Nutrition Manager will serve as a backup to the HS Assistant as needed.
- The Data Systems Specialist will enter all results into ChildPlus in accordance with ChildPlus protocol for health events.
- A copy of the Dental Health Exam form will then be forwarded to Health/Nutrition Manager so that she can develop a follow-up plan in ChildPlus.
- The Health/Nutrition Manager will manage any associated contracts or billing as it relates to Dental Providers.
Forms and Additional Guidance:
- Dental Dayz Summary Form
- BCHC Dental Consent for Exam
- BCHC Nitrous Oxide Permission – English
- BCHC Nitrous Oxide Permission – Spanish
- BCHC Oral Surgery Consent – English
- BCHC Oral Surgery Consent – Spanish
- BCHC HIPPA Privacy
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:|
|Caring for Our Children:|
|Effective Date:||8/7/17||Revision Date:|
|Approved By Policy Council:||8/7/17||Revision Approved By Policy Council:|