NOCAC Head Start follows the Conscious Discipline (CD) model as a classroom management tool and social/ emotional curriculum. CD’s foundation is the Child Mental Health program. CD is incorporating teachers and parents in developing positive and consistent interventions in support of children.
- NOCAC Head Start uses Conscious Discipline (CD), created by Dr. Becky Bailey, as the framework for classroom and behavior management. This program, which is based on current brain research and sound knowledge of child development, focuses on helping children feel emotionally safe and connected with teaching staff and with their friends at school.
- This school readiness approach is helpful for children to be more cooperative, to be able to remember what they have already learned, and to be better able to learn information. We strive to create a healthy School Family within our classrooms, centers and agency.
- NOCAC provides ongoing training in CD throughout the year for new staff and supplemental training in CD for staff who have previously been trained
- Conscious Discipline skills in the classroom are monitored by support staff through various observations
- Recommitment of the Conscious Discipline framework will be done annually by all staff
Forms and Additional Guidance:
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:||1302.45; 1302.46; 1302.92;|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:|
|Caring for Our Children:|
|Effective Date:||Revision Date:|
|Approved By Policy Council:||Revision Approved By Policy Council:|