NOCAC Staff will support families in completing a medical exam within 30 days of the child’s enrollment date.
- During the enrollment process, parents will be informed of the health requirements and encouraged to schedule their child to receive a physical examination prior to the beginning of school.
- If the family does not have a medical provider, a NOCAC Teacher, HV, or FA will assist the family in choosing one and in making the necessary arrangements for the child’s physical exam.
- A Health Record Form will be given to the family to take to the medical provider for completion at the time of the exam.
- Teacher, HV, or FA will verify the family has a blank form prior to appointment date.
- New and returning participants will receive a Health Record Form via mail during the summer enrollment process or upon enrollment if a late enrollee.
- A NOCAC Teacher, HV, or FA will inform the parents of the importance of HCT/HGB, blood pressure, and lead blood screening.
- Physical examinations given within one year prior to enrollment in the program will be considered current.
- Prior to the exam expiring, a NOCAC Teacher, HV, or FA must notify the family and assist them with obtaining an updated exam.
- Health & Safety Manager will send reminder letters to families.
- If the child is not eligible for Medicaid, or does not have private insurance, NOCAC Head Start funds may be used for payment of the physical exam once eligibility and the enrollment process are completed.
- Child Physical exams will be completed as recommended by the EPSDT schedule.
- The Child Physical Exam is valid for 13 months.
- EHS will follow EPSDT recommended schedule.
- The Teacher/Home Visitor will utilize tracking procedures to ensure that each child receives timely screenings, exams, and followup when needed.
- Please refer to the Extended Absence Policy (https://www.nocac.org/head-start-policies-procedures/#extended-absence).
- Once complete, the signed Health Record Form will come to the Data Systems Specialist who will enter all information into ChildPlus. If any of the information requires review, the Data Systems Specialist will give to the Health & Safety Manager for review.
- The Health Record Form will be scanned into ChildPlus and the hard copy will be kept in the child’s file.
Forms and Additional Guidance:
This policy complies with the following
|Head Start Program Performance Standard:||1302.42|
|ODJFS Child Care Manual:||5101:2-12-15(B)|
|Caring for Our Children:||126.96.36.199|
|Effective Date:||8/7/17||Revision Date:||1/20/21|
|Approved By Policy Council:||8/7/17||Revision Approved By Policy Council:|